The rules for Duelist Kingdom was different than the normal Yu-Gi-Oh! card game. This set of rules lasted until Battle City when a new set of rules were made.
Rules for the DuelsEdit
- All players start with 2000 lifepoints which is different from the rest of the anime which has 4000 lifepoints and the card game which has 8000 lifepoints.
- Direct attacts aren't allowed so the opponent loses by battle damage.
- Tributing was not required for monsters at that time. For example: you could normal summon Blue-eyes White Dragoninstantly
- Normal spells could be used in the battle phase as long as it is face-down.
- Ritual monsters could be special summoned from the deck as long as the ritual spell card and the requirements were met.
- Only one monster can attack every turn.
- The destruction of monsters because of card effects result in the controller losing half of the monster or monsters ATK points as life points.
- Equipt monsters can be used for ritual summoning since they are still counted as monsters.
Rules for the TournamentEdit
- The time limit for the 10 star chips are 2 days.
- An invitation must be given to enter. Everyone invited gets 5 invitation cards, 2 star chips, and 1 dueling gauntlet.
- To participate in the preliminary round, one star chip is needed at least.
- At least one star chip must be offered per duel.
- Players without star chips are sent home.
- The first 4 players to obtain 10 star chips enter the Duelist Kingdom Finals.